Below (North #1)
By Alexandria Warwick
Publisher: Wolf Publishing
Release Date: February 4th 2020
From the author of The Demon Race comes a YA dark fantasy series inspired by Inuit mythology.
Inuit Mythology Facts
The following should not be construed as facts, but rather beliefs. There are variations of mythologies depending on the location (i.e. the Inuit who live in Greenland may have differing mythologies than those who live in Nunavut or Nunavik). Lastly, this is only information I found during my research. I’m not Inuit so please take my following research findings with a grain of salt.
- The Northern Lights are believed to be spirits of the dead. Some Inuit believe they are human spirits playing a game with a walrus skull. Others believe they could be walrus spirits playing with a human skull.
- The Ijiraat are shape-shifting demons that cannot disguise their red eyes.
- The ruler of the sea goes by a variety of names depending on region: Sedna, Nerrivik, Arnakuagsak, among others. She is the creator of all marine life.
- Speaking of marine life, the seals, whales, and walruses were born from Sedna’s fingers.
- Those known as the shadow people live in a world beyond our perception and are almost never seen.
- It is said a brother and sister were playing a game of kissing. The sister lit a piece of moss and ascended into the sky. The brother followed. The sister became the sun, and the brother, the moon.
- Some Inuit believe polar bears are more human than bear, and that they walk on their hind legs. Nanuq (“polar bear” in the Inuktitut language), they believe, is the great bear who determines how successful an Inuk will be when hunting a polar bear.
- Inuit myths and legends are preserved through oral traditions, as well as song and dance.
- There is a demon that tickles its victims to death! It is called Mahaha.
- Parents and elders tell these myths and stories to teach children lessons.
Alexandria Warwick is the #1 fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. She is the author of The Demon Race and the upcoming North series.
Prize #1: Win (1) signed paperback copy of BELOW by Alexandria Warwick (US Only)
Prize #2: Win (1) e-copy of BELOW by Alexandria Warwick (INT)
Starts: 29th January 2020
Ends: 12th February 2020
Click here to enter!